Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Hate Christians

Sad to say but I can totally understand when someone who has yet to make Jesus Christ the center of their life makes the statement "I HATE CHRISTIANS." As most of you know I am working at Olive Garden as a server until I go full-time with Relevant Church. Just yesterday at Olive Garden I had the opportunity or shall I say punishment of waiting on a couple of ladies. When I greeted the table, before I could even state my name, I was told exactly what they wanted to drink and that they were ready to order. One side note, I was standing there waiting to greet them as the host sat them, so there was no wait. When one of the ladies ordered she said to me "I want coffee lots of cream, water lots of lemons, and salad lots of dressing." Upon bringing the salad to the table she said "I would like lots of cheese on my salad, and could you bring me lots of butter to go on my (already soggy buttered) bread. Needless to say this adventure in grazing and demanding every time I passed by the table went on for nearly an hour (can someone say buffet). After an hour I took the check in the amount of $36 to the table. The lady paid her bill with a credit card and strategically left me a tip in cash in the receipt book. A tip totalling and egregious $4.00 (11%) along with an invitation to her church and to receive Christ into my life (how sweet). A few questions for her...

1.) Is this the Jesus that gave a generous of 11% of his life or the Jesus that laid down his life by choice for a lost and dying culture. I am pretty sure I don't want to serve the first Jesus.

2.) Is this the Jesus of the Bible that speaks of loving others and treating your body as the temple of God? And the God that speaks of one of the fruits of the spirit being self-control? Because I couldn't tell it.

Thoughts to ponder...

1.) As Christ-followers we have to check our lives and our motives. I see people everyday (and yes some make excuses) that find pretty legitimate reasons not to want to give the God thing a chance. We must represent Christ better!!!

2.) What is the minimum tip that gives you the right to throw your Jesus track or church invite into the receipt booklet. I say 50% but I'll settle for 25%.

3.) Serving others almost always precedes sharing your faith. I heard it when I was young and I will always believe it "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Don't give someone a reason to hate Christians and church and God. If he has changed your life, ACT LIKE IT!

Did I mention I was on a soapbox!!!

No comments: