Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Making the Tough Decisions Part 2

This is part two of dealing with and removing difficult people. I watched from the time I was a teen how pastors and leaders dealt with difficult people and learned quite a few things, but in the last 8 years of I have been dealt my fair share as well. Here are just a few.
1. The Good Ole Boy - This can be one of the most difficult people to deal with. In fact you can mistake them for a close friend and even confidant. They shower you with love and praise and make you think they will go to bat for you in any situation. Be very weary of over zealous praise from anyone (unless its the sweet grandmother that has been by your side in ministry for years). I learned this several years back. My wife and I moved to a new location and there was a particular individual who went out of their way to help my wife find a teaching job as well as make me their best friend. I even helped coach a baseball team with him. Little did I know he was noting my every move and would bring it back up to haunt me when decisions were made about ministry that "he just didn't agree with." I found that what appeared to be my "buddy" nearly choked me in a meeting, ended up nearly splitting the church I was serving at the time. These people must be dealt with firmly and leaders cannot live in fear of what may happen if they deal with it head on. If this guy is going to split the church, he has a better shot at it the longer you let him/her linger. Take the bull by the horns and deal with it. Make sure you are surrounding yourself with strong enough leaders that can also see through the "praise trap."

No comments: