Monday, August 25, 2008

Making the Tough Decisions - Part 4

I've been discussing over the last several days how to identify and deal with people with ulterior motives. Tonight I want to briefly focus on...
3. The Legalist - Ill just illustrate this one with a story. We had a worker in our church several years back who was constantly saying how it was disappointing to him that few Christians could say the 10 Commandments. He proceeded at one point to ask me if I could say them, and as I did, he got on me for not saying them in order, and not quoting them in the KJV. That was the end of that discussion for me, but as I look back I would have done something very different. As I look at his verbiage, I realize now this was his attempt to spiritualize himself. My pastor always says "knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." My response to him instead of attempting to quote them to him would have simply been to say "when is the last time you served someone in need?" Several weeks later he passed me on the road with a cigarette in his hand. I'm not here to beat him over the head about that issue, but give me a break. These were the people Jesus dealt with the most in His day. They were called Pharisees, and Jesus wasn't very gentle with them. Since that time that man and his family have changed churches three different times.

2 comments:

Mark Einersen said...

Remind me one day to teach you how to remember all 10 with your 10 fingers...you'll never forget!! :)

Carl Nichols said...

Shoot em too me...I'll post em and give you credit