Monday, September 22, 2008

Mentors - From Hindsight to Foresight

It has been said that a mentor is "Someone whose hindsight can become your foresight.” I think there are days worth of learning in that statement. There are so many people who have been where I want to go. They are on all different stages of the journey. It's not that I want to be exactly like any of them, but there are things that they have learned along the way that have and will continue to give me insight into decision making along the journey. Over the next week or so I will be sharing a few thoughts on people who have impacted my life. I don't believe that you have to have a relationship with all of the people that impact your life, so I have broken these down into what I call "Direct Impact Mentors"(those who I have a personl relationship with) and "Indirect Impact Mentors"(those I have learned from the most from books, blogs etc.).

Indirect Mentor #1 - Dave Ramsey
Although I now have what I would call an acquantance with Dave, before I knew him personally, he challenged me to change my family tree. My wife and I are and have been debt free except for our home for the last 6 years. He has changed my view on money, giving, and debt. Julie and I are now certified financial counselors with Ramsey's organization (The Lampo Group) and have helped hundreds of families become debt free.

Direct Mentor # 1 - My Dad
My dad taught me so much about hard work. Though our skill sets are remarkably different, ministry can be difficult at times. He taught me to take care of my family, never give up, and work hard and get ahead. He coached my sports teams, and stretched me to become the best that I could be in whatever I was doing. Thanks Dad I will forever be grateful.

No comments: