Monday, September 29, 2008

Mentors - Part 4

One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me as a young leader and pastor is when people who were mentors to me as a teenager and young adult reached beyond the call of duty and actually became friends. I think of my former youth pastor Mark Einersen, who always noted a potential in me that helped me become who I am. The great part about our relationship is that it grew beyond that. We view each other as friends. Sure their are things that he and his family have done for Julie and I that we could never repay and the truth is there are still things that I learn from him, but the relationship is not built around those things. It is built on a genuine authentic relationship that can be nothing more than hanging out at times. Things like that make ministry worth it!

P.S. - I am now on staff at the church he grew up in and a bulk of our ministry focuses on the high school he graduated from.

No comments: